I am submitting a paper for publication for the first time. What are the things that I need to keep in mind while submitting my manuscript to the journal?
Congratulations on successfully drafting your first manuscript! There are several things that you need to keep in mind while submitting your manuscript to the journal such as –
- The first thing you need to ensure is that you have selected the right journal. Make sure that your manuscript fits the aims and scope of the journal, double check that your target journal is an authentic one and not a predatory journal.
- The next thing that you need to check for is that your manuscript has been drafted in accordance with the instructions specified by the journal. Check for word count limit, page limit on the number of figures and tables etc. Sometimes journals also specify word limit for some of the sections of the manuscript such as the abstract or the introduction.
- Check if the sections are divided according to the journal’s requirements. For example- sometimes journals ask for a separate results and discussion, sometimes they want it combined.
- Declare any potential conflict of interests to the journal at the time of submission.
- In case you have borrowed material such as figures, tables etc. and have sought permission for the same, keep the permissions ready at the time of submission. Similarly, if required keep forms such as copyright transfer forms ready.
- Your manuscript should be accompanied by an impactful cover letter that is clear and concise. Use this letter to convince the editor about the suitability of your manuscript for their journal.
- Lastly, thoroughly proofread your manuscript and ensure that everything is perfect.
If you need professional help with the submission of your manuscript, consider using Enago’s Journal Submission service. This service has several advantages such as a smooth and stress-free submission process, double-checking of the formatting of your manuscript, as per author guidelines for manuscript submission and help with completing all the formalities, such as form filling, uploading documents, write a cover letter etc.