What would you suggest to write a robust discussion? What would you recommend to reflect on the meaning of the research in the discussion?
The discussion section of a research paper is that section where you emphasize on the significance of the findings of your research. It is absolutely essential that you write this section in an impactful manner. You can use the following tips to write a robust discussion and reflect on the meaning of the research in the discussion.
- The discussion of your manuscript would be based on your results. So although you have already given a detailed explanation of your findings in the results section, you need to describe what you conclude from the research and compare it with previously known literature and interpret it.
- Emphasize and highlight the significance of your research. Ultimately, it is only the significance of your research that matters.
- Do not forget to discuss the shortcomings of your study as well. It is equally important to throw some light on the shortcomings of your research in order to encourage others researchers to work on them.
- Future research is another essential aspect that needs to be covered in your discussion. You can discuss further studies that would be needed to validate your work.
- You also need to mention the take home message of your study and also the impact or contribution that your research has made to the field of your study to give your discussion an impactful ending.
There are also certain things that need to be avoided while writing your discussion such as
- Avoid repeating too many details of your findings that are already mentioned in the results section. Also avoid introducing any new findings not mentioned previously.
- Do not try to over-interpret you results, just zero-down on the most logical explanation for your results and state that in you discussion.
- Avoid too much of jargon. It will just complicate the discussion. Keep it to the point and simple.