How can I effectively promote my research?
Congratulations on your recent publication! It is good to know that you want to promote your research. Fortunately, in today’s age, with the availability of the internet, we have several tools and platforms available to help us promote our research. However, what we also need to remember that volume of content that is available online, can also result in decreased visibility of your article as well as your efforts to promote it. Therefore, the method/content that you use to promote your work needs to be eye catching and interesting enough to generate curiosity in your target audience. Also, in addition to the newly available methods of research promotion you also need to use the traditionally available methods of research promotion such as promotion at conferences through presentation of your work, word of mouth etc. Your research promotion strategy should always be a healthy mix of both old and new methodology.
You could use the following tips to promote your research online and increase your research of citations.
- You need to start by creating a profile on academic networking and research promotion sites such as researchgate.net and academic.edu. You could also the professional networking website LinkedIn for promoting your research. Creating and maintaining profiles on all the available websites could be tedious and time consuming, therefore, you need to choose what would work best for you and concentrate only on that.
- Just creating a profile is not sufficient, you need to actively use and maintain these sites to ensure maximum visibility.
- Strategically build your network, include people who are significant players in your field of research. Posting meaningful responses to their posts will help you increase your visibility not only with them by also amongst their network.
- Lastly, when you promote your own work on these platforms, ensure that your post stands out. Draft an engaging and eye-catching post by using the right set of keywords and hashtags, tag co-authors to ensure promotion in their network as well.
- You could also use visual elements to increase the attractiveness of your post, such as an graphical abstract.
These strategies will help you increase the visibility of your work and thereby ultimately resulting in increased citations. You could also get detailed information on research promotion through our Enago Learn course on Strategies for Marketing Your Research Paper.