References and Citations
Citations are not simply used to avoid plagiarism; they also serve several important purposes. Some of these include rightfully acknowledging the contribution of the original authors, ensuring adherence to international standards of scholarly publishing as well as demonstrating the credibility of your own research.
This presentation is targeted towards early-stage researchers who wish to understand concepts such as citations, references and bibliography as well as learn correct usage of these in academic writing. It will discuss also important issues such as plagiarism and ways to avoid it effectively. Finally, it will also provide tips and reference management tools which researchers could use to ensure that they have cited the original sources appropriately.
After this session, you will have more information about the following:
- Importance of references and citations in scholarly publishing
- Differences between citations, references, and bibliography
- Understanding of different reference styles and guidelines
- Introduction to several reference management tools
- Awareness of the different types of plagiarism