Is there any website or tools to help you for choosing a journal to your paper based on field, your topic ?
Choosing a journal can be a tedious and time consuming process. There are several tools available online that can help you choose a target journal for your paper based on your field and topic. A lot of these tools also allow you to choose a journal on the basis of your field and topic. A prominent tool that you could potentially use for choosing a journal is Find my Journal- https://app.findmyjournal.com/ which helps you filter journals on the bases of your field, keywords and several other factors. You also have tools such as Enago’s Open Access Journal Finder https://www.enago.com/academy/journal-finder that help you choose your journal on the basis of the abstract of your paper. You can explore these tools and choose what works best for you.
- However, these tools can be used only for the initial screening to shortlist relevant journals. Once a few journals are shortlisted, authors need to carry out a manual verification for several factors such as-
- Compatibility of the manuscript with the aim and scope of the journal
- Accessibility of the journal to readers
- Visibility of the journal. Efforts taken by the journal to promote articles and increase their visibility.
- Target audience of the journal.
- Journal metrics. Ranking of the journal in comparison to other journals in the field needs to be considered.
- Turnaround time of the journal. If the research is time sensitive, the turnaround time for article publication needs attention.
- Publishing model that the journal uses. Whether it is an open access or a subscription based journal. Open access journals would usually need an article processing fee to be paid. Therefore, this factor is very important while deciding a target journal.
- Indexing of the journal in databases. The open access model of publishing has given rise to the problem of predatory journals. Presence of a journal in an abstracting and indexing databases such as Scopus, Web of Science, Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) etc. is an indication of the authenticity of the journal. Presence of your target journals in such databases need to be verified. Additionally, Enago also offers a professional Journal Selection service. Enago promises to maximizes your chances of publication by matching you with the most appropriate journals for your particular research and requirements.