Copy editing and substantive editing are often used interchangeably. However, they are two different things.
Copy editing (also written as copyediting), involves corrections for punctuation, spelling, capitalization, scientific nomenclature, verb tenses and other grammatical errors. It also involves checking for flow, sentence structure, paragraph lengths, word choices, typos, etc. In other words, copy editing involves improving the language of the text. Simply put, copy editing is designed for quality-conscious authors who need a thorough language-check of their manuscripts.
Substantive Editing (also referred to as content editing or developmental editing) involves checking and correction of logic, structure and presentation of the paper in addition to everything included in the content besides everything that is checked in copy editing. Substantive Editing is something you opt for when you want a comprehensive structure and presentation check, in addition to inputs on how to optimize and enhance your base content so that it’s 100% publish-worthy.
Read more about it here: https://www.enago.com/editing-services.htm
As an author, there are three basic broad-heads of editing services available to you:
- Copy Editing – for quality-conscious authors requiring a thorough language check of their manuscripts. Papers submitted to the copy editing service are returned free from language errors such as spelling mistakes, grammar, punctuation errors, and typos. Authors also get a style and consistency-check done on their manuscripts, in addition to having them formatted
- Substantive Editing – authors looking to submit their manuscripts to high-impact peer-reviewed international journals can opt for substantive editing. This service offers intensive research editing services for the authors to achieve flawless subject-matter and language quality. Substantive editing covers all services under copy editing, including a deep focus on the logic, structure and presentation of the manuscript.
- Proofreading – sometimes mistaken for copy editing, but technically it’s a separate process. Proofing is done after editing and layout, after the page proofs have been prepared by the designer. While copy editing errors may still be found, a proofreader is concerned with other elements. The proofreader checks all design elements for accuracy and consistency including headers, level heads, page numbering, word breaks, end-of-line breaks, page breaks, cross references, and appropriate placement of tables and artwork. Proofreading service may also include completion of table of contents, index and numbering of cross references. See my page editing versus proofreading for more about the differences.
A Certificate of Editing (COE) is proof that your paper has been reviewed by professional, native English-speaking experts. A certificate is often required by universities, journals, and reputed publishers to ensure quality of content. A certificate of editing is generally issued by language services providers to authors opting for copy editing or substantive editing services.Enago specializes in providing scientific and academic editing services to researchers, and issues a certificate of editing recognized by over 600 international journals.
What are post-editing support services? What are post-editing services?/ What kind of post-editing services are available?
There are a number of additional services that you can avail with Enago even after your manuscript has been edited:
- Edit Unlimited – Exclusive to Enago, Edit unlimited is a post-editorial support service with a validity of 365 days from manuscript delivery. The same editor who worked on your manuscript will edit your paper to ensure highest quality.
- Editor Q & A – Unlimited editor Q&A for up to 1 year, at no additional cost.
- Rejection Shield – Rejection Shield ensures that your paper is ready for resubmission after facing rejection and includes editing the response to reviewer, cover letter editing, and editing of any additional content added by the author. This add-on service is unlimited for up to 1 year, or until journal acceptance.
- Publication Support – If you wish, you can opt for Enago’s one-stop publication support solution which includes a number of services culminating in the publication of your paper, including – journal selection, formatting and artwork, Journal submission and more.
English Language Editing involves copy-editing and proofreading services, which return a paper free from language errors such as spelling mistakes, grammar, punctuation errors, and typos.
Manuscript Formatting looks at the structure and aesthetics of your manuscript, ensuring it conforms to industry standards and guidelines laid out by your target journal.
Academic copy editing is an extremely useful service for quality-conscious authors who require a thorough language-check of their papers. All papers submitted to this service are returned free from language errors such as grammar, spelling mistakes, punctuation errors and typos. In general, quality copy editing helps you ensure your manuscripts are publish-worthy and helps minimize chances of rejection.
English editing and proofreading services are specialized professional services offered to quality conscious authors and academic researchers who require a thorough check of their manuscripts prior to submitting them to a journal. Papers submitted to this service are returned free from language errors such as spelling mistakes, grammar, punctuation errors, and typos, facilitating a publish-worthy manuscript with minimal chances of rejection.Learn more about them here: https://www.enago.com/substantive-editing.htm
While editing for clarity, word choice, spelling and grammar are important aspects, improvement of the clarity and focus of presentations, medical manuscripts, theses and dissertations are foremost elements of medical editing. Additionally, medical editing involves eliminating redundancies, condensing materials, checking nomenclature and ensuring the accuracy of references.
A well-edited, aseptic research manuscript is more likely to be published in a high impact factor journal without rejection. Editing and proofreading services aim at cleansing the manuscript to eliminate grammar and style errors, which help peer reviewers focus on the subject matter and novelty of the research. Research editing and proofreading services have practical advantages as the quality of writing can be improved quickly by an editor who is an expert in the subject matter.
Scientific manuscript editing goes beyond simple language editing as it is tailored to support the researchers in the journey from manuscript preparation to publishing. In scientific manuscript editing, the document is edited by subject matter experts, co-reviewed by language editors and assessed by journal submission counselors. So if your manuscript is scientific or technical, you should be opting for scientific manuscript editing services.
The editing process begins with the author’s idea for the work, which includes scope of research and defined objectives. The same continues to a collaboration of the author with the editor that involves vigorous creativity and human relations. On the editor’s side, the process would be about correction, condensation, organization, and modifications performed with an intention of producing a correct, consistent, accurate and complete work.
A research manuscript written in correct English is more likely to be published in a high impact factor journal without rejection. Editing and proofreading services aim at cleansing the manuscript to correct the English, which help peer reviewers focus on the subject matter and novelty of the research. English correction services have practical advantages as the quality of writing can be improved quickly by an editor who is an expert in the subject matter.
Do you have any other question? Ask now!
Your email is required but it will not be displayed
Note: We will inform you through the email address you provide regarding the answer.